The Old Mill Country Lodge & Restaurant is situated at the foot of the Swartberg Mountain on a working ostrich farm (seasonal), a lovely 4-star family reprieve from the city.
Nearby Oudtshoorn is also located on the popular tourist route, Route 62
- have a look at the best things to see and do along the route here.
The lodge offers guests the opportunity to relax outdoors with bow hunting, hiking, bass fishing, and bird watching. For the kids, there’s a playground with a trampoline and jungle gym. When hunger strikes take the opportunity to dine at The Old Mill Country Lodge’s 150 year old al la carte restaurant.
Things to do nearby:
- The Cango Caves is only one of the natural wonders of the Klein Karoo & Oudtshoorn. An underground jewel in the heart of the Swartberg Mountain Range. Experience true beauty as you explore the Cango Caves – crawl through narrow spaces and slide into a next chamber.
- The Cango Wildlife Ranch is perfect for a family outing. Guided tours are given daily around the premises. Learn more about the facts and fiction of the crocodiles, view elegant cheetahs and giggle at the antics of the Bengal tiger cubs.
- For the adventurous, they offer face to face encounters with wildlife in the Natural Encounters programme where you can touch a cheetah, enjoy the closeness of a tiger cub, wrap yourself in a python and even dive with Nile crocodiles.
- The Great Waterfall on the Meiringspoort Pass is a beautiful place to have a picnic and a refreshing swim in one of the pools. You may spot the Karoo Mermaid if you are lucky. The geological formations are a must-see with the colours changing constantly throughout the day. Look out for rainbows and waterfalls.
- Karusa is a family operated and managed wine and fruit farm. The word “Karusa” is a Khoi San word meaning: Land with little water, a scarce resource in the semi-arid plateau of the Klein Karoo. Karusa is the first and only Premium Private winery in Oudtshoorn.
- Rust en Vrede, a hidden waterfall in a protected area, is a sanctuary for indigenous plant and animal life, nestled in the heights of the majestic Swartberg Mountains. A short, scenic trail takes you over a multitude of small bridges, winding your way through the growth until you arrive at the plunge pool. Here the crystal clear water collects, after gushing from a fresh spring higher in the mountain.
- The Klein Karoo Wine Route offers visitors its unique cuisine, the warmth and hospitality of its people, and the mystique of its landscape. The Klein Karoo Wine Route invites you to toast their variety.
About Old Mill Country Lodge & Restaurant
Old Mill Country Lodge & Restaurant offers 4-star luxury accommodation, two restaurants on site, and conference & wedding facilities of the highest standard.
Telephone number: 044 272 7308